Summer is fast approaching, and the scorching heat and sweltering humidity come with it. If your air conditioning (AC) unit is on the fritz, you might wonder whether you should repair or replace it before the year’s hottest months arrive. Here at Climate & Energy Solutions, we help you make the best home and budget decisions. Call (530) 338-0191 to schedule a consultation with one of our AC experts to learn more about AC replacement In Chico, CA.
As you weigh your options, it’s important to consider critical factors. Below, we’ll go over some pros and cons of repairing versus replacing your AC unit and general guidelines to help you decide which option is best.
Pros of Repairing Your AC
- Cost: The most apparent advantage of repairing your AC unit is that it’s typically less expensive than replacing it. Depending on the damage, a repair cost could vary from a few hundred dollars to thousands. While this is still a significant investment, it’s likely to be lower than the cost of a new unit.
- Convenience: Another benefit of repairing your AC is that it’s generally quicker and more convenient than replacing it. Depending on the parts availability and the repair’s complexity, you can get your unit back up and running in a matter of days (or even hours). On the other hand, replacing an AC unit can take several days or even weeks, as it requires ordering and installing a new unit and disposing of the old one.
Cons of Repairing Your AC
- Age and Condition of the Unit: If your AC unit is old or in poor condition, repairing it might not be the most cost-effective option in the long run. The older a unit is, the more likely it is to break down or experience other problems. If you’ve already invested significant money in repairs in recent years, it might be more cost-effective to bite the bullet and invest in a new unit. Similarly, if your AC is in poor condition (e.g., it’s leaking or has extensive rust or corrosion), it might be more cost-effective to replace it rather than continue to throw money at it.
- Energy Efficiency: Another factor to consider is the energy efficiency of your AC unit. If your unit is outdated and is not Energy Star-certified, it might cost you more energy bills than a newer, more efficient unit. While the upfront cost of a new unit might be higher, it could save you money on your energy bills in the long run.
Pros of Replacing Your AC
- Energy Efficiency: One of the main benefits of replacing your AC unit is that it could save you money on your energy bills. Newer units must meet stricter energy efficiency standards to use less energy to cool your home. This can result in significant savings on your monthly energy bills, especially if you’re currently using an outdated or inefficient unit.
- Improved Performance: Another advantage of replacing your AC unit is that it can provide improved performance and comfort. Newer units are designed to cool your home more effectively and quietly, so you can enjoy a more comfortable environment without the noise and inefficiencies of an old unit.
- Increased Lifespan: Replacing your AC unit can increase its lifespan. As mentioned above, older units are more prone to breakdowns and other problems. By investing in a new one, you can expect it to last for years (10-15 years or more, depending on the unit and how well it’s maintained).
Contact us if you need AC replacement in Chico, CA, and the surrounding areas.
Cons of Replacing Your AC
- Cost: The cost is the most significant drawback of replacing your AC unit. Depending on the size and features, a new unit can cost anywhere from $3,000 to $10,000 or more. This is a significant investment, especially if your current unit is still functioning.
- Time and Inconvenience: Replacing your AC unit can also be a time-consuming and inconvenient process. It requires ordering and installing a new unit and disposing of the old one. Depending on the installation’s complexity and the parts’ availability, this can take several days or weeks.
Schedule a Consultation With Us To Decide
If you still need to decide whether to repair or replace your AC unit, call us at (530) 338-0191. Our team of AC experts at Climate & Energy Solutions can assess your unit and provide you with personalized recommendations based on your specific needs and budget. We offer repair and replacement services and air conditioning installation in Chico, CA, and the surrounding areas. Don’t sweat it out this summer – let us help you keep your home cool and comfortable.